Manufacturing Engineering Manager
FEE brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop optical Crystals that are key to producing higher quality, cheaper, more efficient photonics products. We design, grow, and fabricate these components, which enable our customers – the world’s leading laser manufactures to increase their market share.
Provide the leadership and direction for the production team. That includes effective communications of Company goals while directing, supervising, and coordinating the daily production operations across all the Work Centers. Accountable for cost control, product quality, schedule attainment, development of personnel, utilization of all resources to optimize operational efficiency, and labor flexibility. Recognize potential improvements to existing products and processes, and guide the implementation of new products and processes. Ensure quality and standardization while contributing to improvements in effectivity and efficiency.
Essential Job Functions:
- Grasp the technical details of FEE’s products sufficiently to be able to streamline and perfect the Manufacturing systems for producing the products at low cost, high yield, and high quality, and to tailor the manufacturing process for the best tradeoff among throughput, cost, quality, and performance of the product.
- Think analytically and creatively in solving production and logistics problems in real time, while managing dynamic changes in customers’ required delivery schedules.
- Support engineering efforts in optical polishing and crystal growth departments.
- Ensure that team/department goals are congruent with Company objectives.
- Develop and maintain strategies that assure the achievement of internal and external customer requirements.
- Anticipate resource requirements and re-allocate/request accordingly in order to meet department goals.
- Provides direct leadership and consistently administers policies and work rules to ensure conformity.
- Maintains working knowledge of schedule, costs, quality, safety, material utilization, and productivity and provide direction and guidance to achieve deliverables.
- Develops and coordinate production/maintenance schedules around production requirements.
- Develops and create production routings.
- Analyzes direct and indirect labor cost and variances. Develops necessary controls to monitor these areas. Promotes problem solving to address variances.
- Manages the overall budget for this department.
- Promotes safety, health and environmental initiatives as well as 5S and Housekeeping within assigned area.
- Determines training needs and administers colleague training for assigned area.
- Demonstrates a pro-active and creative approach to problem solving and continuous improvement. Leads and/or facilitates improvement efforts/special projects related to safety, quality, cost, etc.
- Promotes and champions team initiatives, colleague ownership and empowerment.
- Assist in developing an effective “handoff” process for new products, emphasizing the requirements that must be met for manufacturability of a new product.
- Develop competencies within the department that focus on technical skills, continuous improvement, teambuilding, and cross-training.
- Work with Human Resources on disciplinary issues and hiring decisions; participate in candidate interviews.
- Leading by example, encourage personal motivation in an effort to achieve world class quality and performance.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Capability and desire to think and act “out of the box” in conceptualizing and implementing thoughtful, creative approaches to getting the required job done, whatever it is and whenever it needs to happen.
- Demonstrate understanding of ERP systems
- High level of computer skills, including excel reporting
- Demonstrate strong written and verbal skills.
- Demonstrate ability to organize and prioritize work responsibilities, multitask and get work completed in a timely manner
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills.
- Demonstrate an ability to work effectively as a team member in a self-directed team environment, often using personal discretion and judgment.
- Demonstrate ability to adapt to change and a dynamic work environment
- Can speak and write in both German and English.
- Requisite leadership skills and experience to thoroughly develop and challenge the organization to achieve high performance. Strong motivation and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to lead cultural change.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills – capable of translating requirements into an executable schedule.
- Strong problem solving skills – be able to identify and solve problems in a timely manner.
- Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and manage changing priorities
- Ability to effectively communicate one on one and in small groups to operators, management and engineers.
- Strong interpersonal, coaching, and teambuilding skills.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
Prefer a Bachelor’s Degree in Manufacturing Engineering, Mechanical engineering, or Optical engineering or equivalent experience
- Proven (5+ years) of line and staff management experience with increasing responsibility in a manufacturing environment.
- Strong business operation acumen
- Prior optical fabrication and coating experience preferred.
- Strong LEAN manufacturing SPC, and Continuous Improvement experience in Mfg environment.
- Computer Proficiency—knowledge of PLEX a plus.
- Familiar with ISO9001 and ISO14001